9/4/12

Iran’s Zahra Nemati wins archery gold at 2012 Paralympics

LONDON - Recurve archer Zahra Nemati won the gold medal in women's individual W1/W2 class event at 2012 London Paralympics.
She beat Elisabetta Mijno of Italy 7-3 in the final to claim the gold. Li Jinzhi of China defeated Italian Veronica Floreno to get the Bronze.
Nemati is the first Iranian female to win a gold medal at the 2012 London Paralympics. She’s also a world record-holder and world number three.
“My Italian rival was very strong and I really worked hard to beat her. I wanted to prove that we can win a medal despite lack of equipments. I dedicate my gold medal to all of the people who prayed for me to achieve this success. I also want to thank all of my coaches who helped me,” Nemati said 
She competed in taekwondo before her legs were paralyzed. She was a black belt and was in the national team.