6/19/12

Golfer Sahra Hassan awarded by Muslim Women's Sport Foundation

Sahra hassan
Sahra Hassan, from Newport, south Wales, hopes to crack America's LPGA tour. 
A professional golfer from Wales has been recognised for her role as a successful Muslim woman in sport.
Sahra Hassan, 24, has been named UK sportswoman of the year by the Muslim Women's Sport Foundation at Wembley Stadium.
The night honoured female role models from the Muslim community who have made sport more accessible.
Hassan, from Newport, south Wales, said: "I didn't expect to win, I hadn't even prepared a speech."
Hassan was presented with her award by FA chairman David Bernstein at the ceremony on Wednesday.
She said: "I thanked the Muslim Sport Foundation for giving me the award and to everyone who voted for me."
Hassan turned pro three years' ago and in her first year on the European Ladies Tour.
"I used to play tennis and then at 13 I took a break and started playing golf because my dad played - and I've never looked back.
"I played amateur golf for six years at a high level and I was good enough to try pro so I took a gamble," she added.
Break America
So far this year Hassan has been to China, Toronto and travelled across Europe. Next week she will jet off to Turkey before another five-week stint in Europe.
"In the next year I want to try and win one or at least come top five," she said.
And she is certainly putting in the training. Hassan plays three times a week; practices every day and works out at a Cardiff gym every day with her trainer.
She is currently ranked 30th in the world and hopes to break America.
"I'll see how I go in Europe but I want to base myself in America and join the LPGA tour," she said.